Saturday, March 16, 2013

Deuteronomy 15

what I remember:
Every seven years - all debt are cancelled and all slaves are returned to freedom (at least Jewish slaves).  This isn't an "after seven years, debts are cancelled and people go free", but on the seventh year, even if the slave has only worked for six months - he's free.  It's interesting how long-term debts just don't happen.  (30 year mortgage?  I don't think so).

key verse:
For the poor will never cease from the land; therefore I command you, saying, "You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor and your needy, in your land.

about God:
It seems to me that the point of this passage is compassion on those less fortunate.  If someone is forced to borrow money, at least keep it short.  It's such a different perspective from my culture - where we choose to borrow money (it's not a matter of survival or force).  And choose to spend our lives in debt.   I think I'd rather live with the short debt.

what do you think?
What are your thoughts on this passage, and on debt and servitude as a cultural construct?

No comments:

Post a Comment