Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Isaiah 6

what I remember:
In the year that king Uzziah died, Isaiah saw the Lord, seated on a throne. He was wearing a robe and the robe's train filled the temple. There were cherubim and seraphim above the throne singing "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts".

Isaiah's response to seeing God was "Woe is me". For he was a man of unclean lips and lived among a people of unclean lips.

The angel (I think) touched his lips with burning coal, and then declared him "clean". Then someone was asking "who shall we send, who will go for us", and Isaiah replied "Here I am, send me". He's given the message "Keep seeing but not understanding, keep hearing but not listening", God will make their hearts dull and generally unresponsive until God destroys them.

But not all will be destroyed. A tenth will remain, like a stump.

notes:
It's easier to narrate a chapter that's familiar!

about God: Meeting God is intimidating. He is Holy. The whole earth is full of His glory" He is also called "Lord of Hosts" and the LORD. He will reserve some people from destruction.

about Me: an honest response to seeing God is "woe is me" -- to recognise my sinfulness. An honest response to understanding the forgiveness of God is to volunteer service. Isaiah does this, if I truly understood my God, I would understand my sin, and be honestly grateful and eager to serve.

a verse (Isaiah 6:5)
Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;
The whole earth is full of His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment