Thursday, December 31, 2009

Isaiah 2

What I remember:
Someday God's going to exalt Himself, like a mountain, with His house on a mountain. People will go there to worship Him, and He'll teach them how to follow Him, and they will.

And He's going to crush the other things that people worship -- stuff made with their own hands, and the prideful people worshiping themselves... The idols will be made an embarrasement, and they'll run and hide, so that all people will know that He's God, and no one else.


Favorite verse:
“3 Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD,
To the house of the God of Jacob;
He will teach us His ways,
And we shall walk in His paths.”


About God:
How many gods can we say will teach us their ways? It seems to me that most other religions are spent trying to figure out what "god" wants, and how to please that god, so that the god will make things better for us. The prophets slashing themselves to get Baal's attention on Mount Carmel comes to mind. Our God isn't like that. He teaches us, and teaches us some more, and is patient with us as we learn to walk in His paths.

This chapter depicts God as both terror-invoking and the One who patiently teaches us to walk in His ways.

About me:
God's not amused by my pride. It's a form of idolotry. I don't think I'd ever really thought of my pride problem as idolotry before. And the embarassement of trusting in money more than I trust in God. That money is going to run and hide in holes in the mountains with bats and moles. I'll be embarrassed for thinking that more money would fix my problems. God is the one who provides for me. Not me (that's pride), and not money. Both are idolotry.

No comments:

Post a Comment