Thursday, December 31, 2009

Isaiah 1

The structure of this chapter is one of those diamonds (what are they called?)

1-11 you're ruined because you keep wandering away from Me
12-17 I'm sick of your phony sacrifices, give me some real good works - like defending the fatherless and widows
18-20 I'll forgive you and take you back
21-24 This is an evil city -- no one defends the fatherless and widows
25-31 It'll be ruined.

So, what's the point? The middle of the diamond. Verses 18-20.
“ Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the LORD,

“ Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool.
19 If you are willing and obedient,
You shall eat the good of the land;
20 But if you refuse and rebel,
You shall be devoured by the sword”;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.



What do I learn about God?
God's doesn't appreciate my wandering away, and my ingratitude for all He's done. He just wants to forgive and cleanse me (note, that doesn't involve me doing anything). As long as I refuse and rebel, He'll work circumstances to break us to the point where I recognize that I need him.

What do I learn about me?
I look like a 2 year old when I act like Israel in this chapter. "I can do it myself", and God lets me try, until we're finally frustrated enough to give up and let Him. Then he takes me and washes away all of my sin. That's what he wants.

Other notes:
Caring for people who can't care for themselves (fatherless and widows) are mentioned twice as things that the few righteous folks do. That's what God cares about, not how faithfully I attend church, but how I pass on the love and mercy He's shown me.

No comments:

Post a Comment