Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Genesis 31

Genesis 31
31:1 So the family started resenting Jacob building wealth at Laban's expense....
31:2 Evidently they saw each other sometimes, I guess.  Despite the three days journey.
31:8 Now, doesn't chapter 30 explicitly say that Laban was manipulating this?  In front of his wives he credits God alone.  I wonder if they bought that line.
31:12 I suppose the Bible doesn't say this is false, but it feels pretty fabricated to me...
31:14 Sad that the wives feel like outsiders in their father's house now.
31:19 so they fled while Laban was sheering his sheep?  And Rachel went 3 days to her Dad's home to steel his gods?  I don't get how this worked out practically.
31:20 Jacob continues his practice of deception.
31:24 I wonder why every once in a while (twice in this chapter) the writer uses the more formal (I think) "Laban the Aramean" instead of just Laban?  It feels like an ominous warning that God gave him.
31:26-29 To me, this isn't "not saying anything to Jacob, good or bad".  Yet, he asks legitimate questions.
31:32 Rachel is also deceptive.
31:36 Now Jacob is mad.  In my mind, Laban has a right to be mad, for Jacob taking his family and moving without notice.  I know Jacob is mad over being accused of stealing the gods, but that seems like a lesser offence to me.  Jacob seems insolent.
31:40 He paints a different picture for his father-in-law than he did to his wives before he left.
31:43 I feel like Laban's heart is almost breaking in this verse.
31:49 I feel like all parents and kids should have such an agreement:  God watch over you when I cannot.
31:52 Maybe not this portion of the meaning of the mound.
31:53 Interesting name for God - the Fear of his father Isaac.
31:55 Laban left with a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment