Tuesday, November 3, 2009

God notices...

I don't know if you've noticed, but I sure have: the job of a mother is generally thankless.

I can change diapers all day long, pick up toys every hour, wash the dishes, wash the clothes, run errands, and maybe even prepare dinner, all to have the work simply go by un-noticed. To make it worse, I have to do the same thing tomorrow - it's all been undone.

When my oldest was a baby, I maintained a count of the diapers I changed in a day. Not to keep track of whether or not my baby was healthy, but so that I could feel like I accomplished something in a day. Actually, not even that, it was my attempt to get appreciation for my efforts.

And while my husband is particularly sensitive and attentive to my needs, it seemed a bit silly to him to praise the number of diapers I'd changed in a day.

I was devastated. How could he not care that I'd changed fourteen (and counting) diapers in the past twenty hours?! It seems silly looking back, but it really was a big deal to me. (I was only slightly hormonal.)

That's why I'll never forget how I felt when I learned the comforting truth that God actually does notice and acknowledge just that.

Matthew 6 talks about how God discusses what we do in secret - whether it be giving, fasting or praying (or cleaning or changing diapers). It's those things that no one else notices that receive a special reward from God.

When I do an act in order to impress my husband that his loving and patient wife would clean the house three times in a day - that's the reward I get (or don't) -- the praise of my husband. When, instead, I have an attitude of gratefulness for all the wonderful things that God has given me, that are currently spread around the living room floor. I get the praise of God. Which is better?

Because God sees, I can relax rather than constantly seek affirmation from people. His watchful eyes free me to wash dishes in thankfulness for our abundance rather than grumble at the mess. They motivate me to work for approval and reward from God, not my family or my friends or even my boss at work.

What a satisfaction to know that these hours, days, and years are being spent in things that are noticed by and significant to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment